RVAP has four different volunteer training tracks: Direct-Service (in-person advocacy), Prevention Education (University of Iowa & K-12 / community), Rural (volunteering in Cedar, Iowa, Des Moines, Henry, Lee, Washington, & Van Buren Counties), and the Queer Health Advocates track.
All prospective volunteers for direct service, rural, and prevention attend an online 10-hour foundation training along with an additional, in-person (or over Zoom) 22 hours of track-specific skills training focused on either direct service or prevention education.
Trainings are facilitated by RVAP staff every spring, summer, and fall However, trainings for our rural volunteer program and Queer Health Advocates Program vary throughout the year depending on the number of applicants. You must be present for all training dates.
2021 Iowa City Training Dates
The Iowa City in-person training will be held at the RVAP office in Iowa City (108 River St.), and over Zoom if the COVID-19 pandemic continues to be aggressive.
- February 22nd, 5:30 - 9:30 pm
- February 24th, 5:30 - 9:30 pm
- February 27th, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- February 28th, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- July 6th, 5:30 - 9:30 pm
- July 7th, 5:30 - 9:30 pm
- July 10th, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- July 11th, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- September 13th, 5:30 - 9:30 pm
- September 15th, 5:30 - 9:30 pm
- September 18th, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- September 19th, 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
If you have questions or need more information please call RVAP and speak with a staff member at 319-335-6001.