Queer Health Advocacy
What are Queer Health Advocates?
Queer Health Advocates are trained volunteers who accompany and advocate for members of the community who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual, transgender, intersex, asexual, aromantic, queer, or questioning during medical appointments. Queer Health Advocates help their clients navigate the healthcare system and and get the care they deserve. All our services are free and confidential.
Queer Health Advocates can...
- promote feelings of safety in medical spaces
- find an LGBTQIA friendly provider
- locate physicians that provide gender affirming care
- provide emotional support
- negotiate accommodations that will make healthcare more accessible to you
- make sure your provider addresses your concerns
- provide doula services
- help you seek accountability for a provider that has caused you harm
- provide other services tailored to your specific needs
How do I get a Queer Health Advocate for my appointment?
Contact us in advance of the appointment at our business line (319-335-6001) or on our crisis line (319-335-6000) to request an advocate.
How do I become a Queer Health Advocate?
Review the program requirements, apply online, and take one of our Queer Health Advocates volunteer trainings.